Tuesday, January 18, 2011

3...whole...words

So, as we were eating breakfast together this morning, Iris uttered one of her first complete sentences, that we could understand anyway...

"Daddy do it!"

I was hoping in the beginning for something like, "I love Daddy", but maybe I should just get used to this state of affairs?

3 comments:

Star said...

nice! no sentences here yet (unless "stop it!", in reference to any attempt to change her diaper, counts as a sentence...)

OmarSaleh said...

I choose to interpret the sentence as an accusation. "Daddy did it!"

Gwyneth and Matt said...

Regarding "stop it," we sympathize - Iris has recently picked up the word "move" and now likes to push us around (physically, not just verbally), saying "move, move." Trying to remember it's just a phase . . . .

Omar - your interpretation is certainly fair. Given the lack of tenses, I'm sure that's what she often means. My favorite use of this construction lately was when I got the vacuum out. Iris informed me that "D-Dad do it. No Mama." D-Dad is Bill Jones. I'm just waiting for him to come and visit again . . . I certainly can't go against Iris's wishes in this matter . . .

- Gwyneth